Eosinophilic Esophagitis in Denver, CO
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE) is a disease of the esophagus characterized by inflammation. When a specific type of white blood cell called an eosinophil accumulates in the lining of the esophagus, the esophagus will swell (leading to esophagitis). The buildup of these white blood cells is typically a reaction to acid regurgitation or a reaction to food and allergens. EoE may be suffered by people of any age. However, it is suffered more often by younger, Caucasian males, who make up nearly 75% of occurrences. At Colorado Gastroenterology, our specialists provide individualized care for this condition. If you are dealing with eosinophilic esophagitis in Denver, CO, call our office to request a treatment consultation.
What are the causes of eosinophilic esophagitis?
The percentage of individuals receiving a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis has been increasing at a rapid pace, relative to the increase in allergies and asthma. A sample of the most common culprits of EoE are:
- Allergic reaction (to food, pollen, etc.)
- Dysphagia and impaction (a struggle with swallowing, or having food become stuck in the esophagus)
- Abdominal or chest pain
- Damage to the esophagus (esophageal inflammation could lead to tissue scarring and esophageal narrowing)
A few of the risk factors related to a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis are:
- Time of year: (people are more likely to be diagnosed with EoE during times of increased levels of pollen and other allergens)
- Location: where you live (individuals living in cold, dry conditions have a greater likelihood of being diagnosed])
- Genetics: (if someone in your family has EoE, you are more likely to be diagnosed)
- Being male
- Allergies and asthma
What are the symptoms of eosinophilic esophagitis?
Symptoms of eosinophilic esophagitis for adults and children can differ slightly. The most common symptoms with adults can include:
- A lack of efficacy from acid reflux medication
- Persistent or occasional acid reflux
- Food becoming impacted in your esophagus while eating
- Pain in the chest
- Pain in the upper stomach
- Trouble swallowing (dysphagia)
- A cough
The primary symptoms in children may include:
- Struggles with eating (children)
- Impaction (food stuck in the esophagus)
- Stomach and abdominal pain
- Difficulty with feedings (infants)
- Struggles with swallowing
- Failure to thrive, weight loss, malnutrition
If you or your child are suffering from any combination of these symptoms, or if you require over-the-counter (OTC) medication for heartburn more than two times per week, request a consultation with a Colorado Gastroenterology gastroenterologist today.
What are the treatment options for EoE?
Treatment for EoE with our Denver, CO practice mainly focuses on treating the condition's symptoms. Should it be determined that you are managing symptoms resulting from food allergies your gastroenterologist will likely direct that you refrain from consuming triggering foods. Individuals are often asked to follow the six-food elimination diet (SFED), holding out wheat, milk, eggs, nuts, soy, fish, and shellfish from their diet for a specific duration of time. Symptoms during this time are monitored closely, and individual foods are slowly added back into the diet to pinpoint which foods are resulting in the response. Some medications, for example, topical steroids or a proton pump inhibitor may be prescribed. If symptoms fail to resolve, your gastroenterologist may recommend esophageal dilation. Esophageal dilation is a treatment to help stretch the diameter of your esophagus to make swallowing easier.
We provide personalized care for eosinophilic esophagitis
If you or someone you love are managing eosinophilic esophagitis, you can find expert help and compassionate care through the skilled specialists at Colorado Gastroenterology. Our board-certified gastrointestinal providers apply a patient-centered approach to manage and treat problems such as eosinophilic esophagitis and optimize your overall health. To meet with a provider who specializes in EoE treatments in Denver, CO, please reach out to our team as soon as possible.
Very pleasant visit. The steps to diagnose my condition were explained to me and I felt quite comfortable with this doctor.
I like her writing down directions because I usually can't write fast enough to get them down myself. She quickly gets to the point, and we are done with a hopeful direction to go next.
Dr. Brenner has been so helpful. My discomfort has been addressed and I feel so much better. Wish I would have found her years ago.
Personable, Knowledgeable, Understanding, and informative.
Have been going to her for a number of years. Always satisfied with my visits. Informative and answers all questions.